I have seen many different products for the specific purpose of making sure that someone did not add that *special something* to the drink (regardless of what it is) of an unsuspecting person in an attempt to prevent date rape. Testing products designed to check for drugs have made an appearance including lip gloss, nail polish, tester strips, a straw, and electronic gadgets. I think some points should be made regarding the selection of said method of testing:
- Make sure the company selling the testing method is reputable and their site payment method is secure.
- Review the facts about the testing method in question. If it seems to be unsupported by research or some sort of demonstration to prove its quality and usefulness, then avoid it.
- Research to see if there have been any reviews by reliable organizations or forms of media on the testing method in question.
- Read over the reviews from customers but keep in mind that it could be anyone reviewing and might not be trustworthy.
- Ask yourself if the testing method is worth the price; as in the number of tests included/cost per test, and cost of unit along with warranties in the case of an electronic gadget.
Another alternative would be to not leave your drink unattended and/or use a covered insulated mug. It may not be the most rad way of preventing spiking of your drink, unless you want to whip out your testing method and wait for results before you take a sip, which could possibly work for that individual. However, a different method of containing your beverage could be more cost effective as well as practical, but who is to say this is true unless a scholarly and comprehensive study has been done comparing methods against date rape, right?