I think the number one tip to staying safe from assault is to be aware of your surroundings. One of the easiest ways, in my opinion, is to bring a flashlight when walking outside alone or with others. However, this may seem almost impossible with the amount of baggage you carry around on a daily basis, whether it is instrument cases, backpacks, artwork, etc. I searched around and found five options for those of us in need of an extra hand.
Hands-Free Flashlight Short List
- Bright Outdoors LED Safety Lights: This two pack comes with clip on led lights to be used on anything! Some of the suggested uses are on “a cap, shirt or backpack”, but can also be attached to a “runner’s armband.” It is charged via USB, so I think it might up your chances of actually using it when you do not have to constantly change batteries.
- Hands Free LED Flashlight: Also a two pack, it is similar to product #1 with the added benefit of having a “magnetic closure” (caution: pacemaker users cannot use this product), it is “weather resistant” and “bendable”, and comes with a screwdriver to replace the batteries. The number of photos was helpful for visualizing the actual product’s usage.
- LED Sports Safety Flashing Reflective Armband: Purchase includes a two pack of an armband that is fastened with a buckle, comes in five colors, and has a 50 to 70 hour battery life.
- SpotLit Clip-on LED Go Anywhere Light: This clip-on is light at .6 ounces, weather resistant, has a stainless steel carabiner, has two modes one that flashes and the other that glows, and comes in different colors.
- 7 Color Duracell Durabeam Ultra Safety Armband Led Light: This two pack comes with a set of armbands that have two different modes of “high visibility blinking and steady light”, and has “7 color settings.”
There are so many options, so it really just depends on your price range and whether you want more of a clip-on or a band. Just remember a flashlight can help you see what is going on around you but it is no guarantee that it will add to your safety!